KL-Yes Scholarship 2016
Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Program was established in October, 2002 and sponsored by Bureau of Educational & Cultural Affairs (ECA) to provide scholarships for high school students (15-17 years) from countries with significant Muslim populations to spend up to one academic year or a semester in the U.S. Students live with host families, attend high school, engage in activities to learn about American society and values, acquire leadership skills, and help educate Americans about their countries and cultures. In 2007, YES Abroad was established to provide a similar experience for U.S. students (15-17 years) in selected YES countries.
In Malaysia, the first batch of 20 YES students left in January 2004 and Malaysia is the only country to send on semester (6 months) due to our school system where one can only depart after their SPM exams. The number of scholars has since swelled to 45 in 2015. Application criteria include commendable school grades and personal achievements, outstanding confidence, leadership qualities, possessing an active role in school and in the local community among others is a definite advantage.
YES program supports students with disabilities and encourages their participation. The U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs (ECA) works with a separate organization to provide students with disabilities with leadership-building workshops and appropriate information and support as needed to enhance their experience in the United States.
- Be a citizen of Malaysia
- Be enrolled in Form 5 at the time of application
- Have the equivalent of a B average or better without failling grades
- Be active in extra-curricular activities
- The program highly encourages participation from students with disabilities between
the age of 15 and 17 (form 3 to 5 at the time of application)
How to Apply
- For Applicants, can be download the application form for the KL-Yes Scholarship from here. For more information on the scholarships and application procedures please visit KL-Yes Scholarship website at here