Fullbright Malaysian Scholar Program 2017
Applications are now invited from the qualified Malaysian scholars to undertake a 3-6 months of research/lecturing at the American universities during the FY2017/2018 academic year (August through June).
The Malaysian Fulbright Scholar Program 2016 provides opportunities for Malaysian academics to develop or update their research through interaction with distinguished counterparts in the United States. By providing a mechanism and support for meeting and interacting with the best of American scholars, the program seeks to promote dialogue on subjects of mutual interest to Malaysia and the United States.
While these grants are typically research-focused, applicants who are prepared to add a lecturing component to their proposals are particularly encouraged to apply. Further, all grantees will be asked to develop strategies for sharing Malaysian culture with social, civic and other groups while in the United States.
Applicants must have the following qualifications:
1. A Malaysian citizen.
2. Doctoral degree or equivalent professional training or experience at the time of application.
3. Minimum five years working experience in the related field.
4. Faculty member in a university or a higher learning institution in Malaysia and eligible for sabbatical or other leaves.
5. An excellent record of achievement as indicated by quality publications and professional activities.
6. Proficiency in English appropriate to proposed lecturing or research project to be carried out in the United States;
7. A detailed statement of proposed activity for research or lecturing at a U.S. institution. The proposed project should contribute to the development of knowledge in your field and must be effectively investigated within the period of grant.
8. Certification of good health.
9. While not limited to specific fields, research proposals from candidates applying for this award related to MACEE’s 5 traditional themes:
American studies, Malaysian studies, Islamic studies, issues in contemporary society, economics and technology transfer, and International Relations will be given preference. Research in other fields of study may also be considered. Although not precluded from applying in recent years the Commission has expressed increasingly less interest in supporting research in medical fields.
In addition applicants should note that the following conditions affecting review and selection of candidates:
i. Applicants will be considered without regard to race, religion, sex, age and/or physical impairment.
ii. Preference is given to those without recent experience in the United States.
iii. Applicants should be representative and responsible citizens who can contribute to a full and fair picture of the culture of Malaysia and thereby contribute to understanding between the people of the United State and Malaysia. You should also demonstrate the cross-cultural sensitivity and flexibility needed to adjust successfully to life in the United States.
Applicants are requested to note some of the most frequent application problems:
1. Lack of an adequate research proposal. This is the single most common weakness of applications and the one that reflects most seriously on the applicant’s prospects for placement. Applicants must have a well-thought-out plan for research that demonstrates knowledge of the field in general, as well as scientific methods for approaching the subject and knowledge of sources of data in the United States.
2. Selection of a proposed host institution without providing rationale or copies of correspondence or not mentioning any preference for affiliation.
3. Lack of knowledge of English or of a plan to acquire a working level of English before beginning the grant.
4. Lack of a curriculum vitae and list of publications.
5. Proposing visits to numerous institutions.
6. Proposing a non-academic host institution without including a clear justification with sufficient details.
Provisions Of The Award
The Malaysian Scholar grant augments the privileges normally accorded by the home institution to its staff members on sabbatical or other leave. The program also solicits the cooperation of the U.S. host institutions which may invite grantees to conduct research / lecturing using their facilities. It will enhance the application and assist the selection process if candidates have already examined appropriate affiliation at a U.S. institution. Cost-sharing from candidates or the home institution is encouraged as this enables MACEE to offer Fulbright grant to more candidates.
Applicant from Malaysian universities and other higher learning institutions are requested to submit their completed application forms through their Vice-Chancellor / Director, or equivalent. A letter is required from the home University / Institute stating the benefits the applicant is entitled to during the 3-6 months sabbatical or other leaves in the United States.
In connection with your application for the above program, please note the following:
Please fill up your application online at here In addition, please submit 4 sets of complete applications to MACEE by November 11, 2016 and it should consists of the following documents:
i. Application forms;
ii. Recent passport-size photos
iii. 3 letters of reference using the required forms, including one from your immediate supervisor or Head of Department, Dean or Vice-Chancellor.
iv. Certified true copy of Ph.D. certificate;
v. Curriculum vitae;
vi. Written statement from your institution stating the availability and length of your sabbatical leave and benefits entitled;
vii. A detailed statement of proposed activity.
Supplementary documents where applicable:
i. Letters of invitation or appointment from United States institutions;
ii. Source of financial support for accompanying dependants.
Kindly submit 4 copies of the complete application to MACEE by November 11, 2016.
Shortlisted candidates will be called for interview in November/December 2016. Final announcement of awards will be made in January 2017.
Malaysian-American Commission On Educational Exchange
18th Floor, Menara Yayasan Tun Razak, 200, Jalan Bukit Bintang, 55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-2166 8878 Fax: 03-2166 1878
For more information on the scholarships and application procedures please visit Macee website at here